Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Primero +extras

So in my excitement to get this thing up and running I forgot to mention some key places I have visited in the past five years. In addition to the places I previously listed, I have had the privilege of experiencing Vancouver, BC, Washington DC, New Orleans, Boulder, Ft Collins, and various ski towns within Colorado. These places are near and dear to my heart and the time I spent there will never be forgotten.

From here on out I will be writing and sharing my new adventures. I will add my past as it pertains to my present, since each travel experience yields lessons for the next.

My journey back to Spain will be the first time back in 10 years. I am hoping for it to be just as eye opening as when I was last there. This time I am returning as a citizen, as a more seasoned traveler, and as someone looking for more than just museums.

When beginning the planning for this trip, I naturally went to my dad and stepmom for advice. Being from Madrid and growing up in Mallorca, my dad has a wide lens view of Spain, and is able to provide well rounded opinions of where to go, what to see, and what to eat. He sees the country as a whole and is proud of every region and what each one offers. My stepmom on the other hand is from Girona, a small town about half hour outside of Barcelona. She is proud to be from Cataluña, and although she is proud to be from Spain, and is open minded about sight seeing and visiting the entire country, she definitely prefers her native northern region. Their heritage has created a playful rivalry between them that has been quite entertaining for me to be a part of.

They have both given me amazing advice and guidance when planning this trip. So much so that my travel partner and I are almost overwhelmed with reading material, none of which we have managed to fully digest.

Planning for this trip has been a struggle. 20 days to go and all we have are plane tickets to Madrid, Euro Rail passes, backpacks, and stacks of travel guides and newspaper clippings.

This weekend will be dedicated to intense googling of hotels, ferries, miscellaneous transportation methods/routes, and country wide hot spots. Cheap or "barato" will be the keyword from now on.

Fingers crossed things come together.


No comments:

Post a Comment